Robert NICHOLS William DENNY Bertie Philip NICHOLS John William NICHOLS George Reginald NICHOLS Florence May NICHOLS Margaret Annie NICHOLS Ernest Victor NICHOLS Hilda Doris NICHOLS Lilian Violet NICHOLS Leonard NICHOLS Edwin Frank NICHOLS Sarah Jane RATLEY Mary Ann NICHOLS Charlotte DENNY Mini tree diagram
John & Sarah Jane Nichols

John & Sarah Jane Nichols

Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select

John NICHOLS1,2,3,4,5

1867 - 31st Jul 1940


Life History


Born in Wicklewood, Norfolk

between 1871 and 1881

Resident in Near White House Wood, Wicklewood, Norfolk


Occupation Agricultural Labourer


Occupation Miller


Resident in Rattle Row, Wicklewood, Norfolk (John Nichols
Norfolk, Norfolk)

29th Sep 1895

Publication of banns of marriage to Sarah Jane RATLEY in St. Andrew and All Saints, Wicklewood, Norfolk

6th Oct 1895

Publication of banns of marriage to Sarah Jane RATLEY in St. Andrew and All Saints, Wicklewood, Norfolk

13th Oct 1895

Publication of banns of marriage to Sarah Jane RATLEY in St. Andrew and All Saints, Wicklewood, Norfolk

4th Nov 1895

Fact 1 in Married

4th Nov 1895

Married Sarah Jane RATLEY in Stratford St. Mary, Suffolk

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915
Name: John Nichols to Sarah Jane Ratley
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1895
Registration district: Samford
Inferred County: Suffolk
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 1612
Wedding witnesses
Mrs C Nichols, Ivy & John
NICHOLS, Headstone & kerbs, 289, 1940, 1948
In / loving memory of / a dear husband and father / JOHN NICHOLS / who died 31st July 1940 / aged 73 years / At rest / also his beloved wife / SARAH JANE NICHOLS / who died 28th April 1948 / aged 80 years / Greatly loved sadly missed

between 1896 and 1897

Occupation Labourer

between 1896 and 1897

Resident in Wicklewood, Norfolk

10th Aug 1896

Birth of son Bertie Philip NICHOLS in Wicklewood, Norfolk.7

17th Dec 1897

Birth of son John William NICHOLS in Wicklewood, Norfolk.7

between 1899 and 1940

Occupation Gamekeeper

between 1899 and 1901

Resident in Keepers Cottage, Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk

27th Mar 1899

Birth of son George Reginald NICHOLS in Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk

16th Sep 1900

Birth of daughter Florence May NICHOLS in Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk

10th Sep 1901

Birth of daughter Margaret Annie NICHOLS in Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk

between 1903 and 1906

Resident in Boat House, Redgrave Park, Redgrave, Norfolk

14th Mar 1903

Birth of son Ernest Victor NICHOLS in Hartismere Registration District.8

20th Jul 1905

Birth of daughter Hilda Doris NICHOLS in Hartismere Registration District.8

12th Aug 1906

Birth of daughter Lilian Violet NICHOLS in Hartismere Registration District.8

between 1907 and 1909

Resident in Old Newton, Stowmarket, Suffolk

7th Nov 1907

Birth of son Leonard NICHOLS in Old Newton, Stowmarket, Suffolk

between 1909 and 1911

Resident in Park Cottage, Kirtling Road, Woodditton, Cambridgeshire

23rd Feb 1909

Birth of son Edwin Frank NICHOLS in Old Newton, Stowmarket, Suffolk

between 1912 and 1936

Resident in The Roundhouse, Stetchworth Ley, Cambridgeshire

3rd May 1917

Death of son John William NICHOLS in Pas de Calais, France.6

19th May 1917

Death of son Bertie Philip NICHOLS in Pas de Calais, France.6

between 1936 and 1940

Resident in West End Cottages, Woodditton, Cambridgeshire


Buried in Woodditton, Cambridgeshire

31st Jul 1940

Died in Woodditton, Cambridgeshire

Other facts


CauseOfDeath in Duodenal Ulcer


  • Name: John Nichols
    Year of Registration: 1867
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Forehoe
    County: Norfolk
    Volume: 4b
    Page: 179
  • Redgrave Hall passed down through generations of the Holt and Wilson families until Mr Holt-Wilson's great grandmother died in 1902 and it was rented out, first to the Horsfall family and then from 1910 until 1938 to Lord Playfair.
    John & Sarah Jane moved into Regrave in 1903 and left in 1906, being gamekeeper he was most probably employed by Redgrave Park and from the above information by the Horsfall family.
    These were quite tumultuous financial times for the park and probably the reason why the Nichols family only stayed for a few years.
  • The following is probably the house they lived in:-
    TM 061766
    2/84 Boat House known as Water House
    GV II
    Boat house, latterly a gamekeeper's cottage for Redgrave Park Estate.
    Designed as part of landscaping of the park to be an eyecatcher from Redgrave Hall (demolished).
    c.1766-70, by Capability Brown for R Holt; extended and slightly raised early and late C19.
    White brick and flint with stone dressings and later red brick.
    Black glazed pantiled roof.
    A rectangle on plan with a lean-to added on one side. 2 storeys.
    Gable end facing former Hall has an entrance with a half glazed door, gauged brick flat arched head; above a string course and a blocked lunette all in a relieving arch.
    Outside the arch this facade has banded rustication, flint rubble with rendered bands, above a moulded pediment.
    Early C19 lean-to to left also has rusticated flint.
    Symmetrical 3 bay right return is all white brick and faces lake, ground floor gauged brick flat arched heads, first floor stone sills, dentilled timber eaves.
    Left return on lean-to is flint with a ground floor 2-light casement, first floor 2- light glazing bar horizontal sliding sash.
    To rear red and white brick with a door into lean-to, ground floor gauged brick heads, original wallplates exposed.
    Roof raised in late C19 with red brick above original roof line.
    (D. Stroud, Capability Brown, 1975, pp.112-13).
    Listing NGR: TM0612476611
  • Stetchworth Estate:
    Patmers manor in Stetchworth included land in Woodditton by 1324 and continued to do so after the Stetchworth Estate was formed in the 16th century, adding Ditton Park wood between 1559 and 1571.
    Stetchworth Estate was acquired by Richard Eaton in 1786 and shortly after the house was built, by 1820 the estate extended to over 2,655 a.
    Richard died in 1843 and the estate passed to his son Richard Jefferson Eaton (d. 1847) and then his grandson Herbert Fitzroy Eaton (d. 1875).
    The estate was bought by Sir Roger William Henry Palmer, Bt., who in 1883 sold it to Francis Charles Granville Egerton, 3rd Earl of Ellesmere.
    Francis married Lady Katherine Louisa Phipps, they had eleven children, six daughters and five sons.
    He died in 1914 and was succeeded by his oldest son John Francis Granville Scrope Egerton, 4th Earl of Ellesmere.
    John bought Crockford's, Camois Hall, and Court Barns farms (1,284 a.) from the Cheveley Park Estate c. 1920, and the Stetchworth Estate retained 1,650 a., about a third of Woodditton parish, in 1990.
    Following his death in 1944 the title passed to his only son John Sutherland Egerton, 6th Duke of Sutherland, the 5th Earl of Ellesmere from 1944 until 1963.
    Lady Violet Egerton Countess of Ellesmere continued to live in Stetchworth Park Estate house until she died in 1976 aged 95.
    The house was purchased by Bill Gredley in 1977 and the estate passed to John's first cousin once removed; Francis Ronald Egerton, 7th Duke of Sutherland, who gained the title of 6th Earl of Ellesmere in 2000.
  • Stetchworth Park July 4th 1936.jpg
    Newmarket Journal
    Published on Tue Aug 18 13:18:56 BST 2009
    Birthday gathering for bored-looking Viscount
    From the tragic tale of the Palethorpe sisters to a far happier event recorded in the Journal in 1936 – the coming-of-age party for Viscount Brackley who was to become the Duke of Sutherland.
    The Viscount's birthday was actually on May 10 of that year, but the celebrations, depicted in this photograph taken by Newmarket photographer Frank Griggs, were postponed until July because the Court was still officially in mourning for the late King George V.
    In the centre of this rather austere official photograph is the rather bored- looking young Viscount flanked by his father, the Earl of Ellesmere and his mother Lady Ellesmere. On the extreme left of the shot is the Stetchworth estate manager Mr C J Rush.
    The birthday celebrations were spread over a day and involved not only the estate employees but also the villagers of Stetchworth.
    All the employees, their families, and widows of former employees, around 250 people in all, were treated to lunch and tea was later served to some 500 villagers.
    The estate employees presented the Viscount with a cartridge magazine made by London society gunsmiths Purdey and Sons, which held 500 cartridges.
    The gift from the estate's tenants was a 14-foot salmon and trout rod and reel.
    On the front row of the photograph are members of the family and also pictured are 34 of the oldest employees on the estate all of whom had put in more than 26 years' continuous service. It is likely that all the employees pictured were given a copy of the photograph so they could remember the special day.
    They were: J Lancaster, W Jolly, F Starvis, A Osbourn, J Briggs, H Cook, B Turner, R Jaggard, E Pettitt, H Claydon, S Watson, F Linwood, S Briggs, S Daniels, S Shipp, W Webb, J Cooper, W Watson, G Symonds, C Claydon, J Aves, S Aves, E Claydon, C Rush, P Standley, G Barker, E Granger, J Webb, B Benstead, D Claydon, G Swann, J Wells, J Bushnell, J Nichols, R Daniels and J Cutter.
  • Egerton House and stables were built in 1891 by the 3rd Earl of Ellesmere with profits made from the Stetchworth Park Stud.
    It was planned as the most up-to-date training establishment in the country;
    the stables, which took 2½ years to build, could accommodate up to 80 horses, and 120 a. of arable was converted to grassland, with extensive belts of trees.
    It was leased until 1925 to Richard Marsh who was trainer to the prince of Wales, later Edward VII, and to George V.
    The ownership apparently passed to the earl of Ellesmere's third son, Thomas Henry Frederick Egerton, who in 1925 sold it to Henry Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles, later Earl of Harewood (d. 1947).
    Marsh was followed by William Jarvis, also a royal trainer.
    In 1943 the stables were sold to Lady Catherine Macdonald-Buchanan, then in 1985 to Malcolm Parrish and sold again to Count Frederico Zichy- Thyssen in 1996.
    Subsequently Lismonde Investments owned the property, but in April 2001 the stables was placed in voluntary administration by a High Court ruling.
    The present owner since 2008 is racehorse trainer Gerard Butler.


Page created using GEDmill 1.11.0